20 Questions That Will Give You a Year's Worth of Blog Posts
No matter how seasoned the writer, no matter how many blogs they've written, and no matter how incredible they might be at what they do, we all run into the same foe: the blank page.
The dreaded blank page - an unfeeling expanse of pixelated white blocks boring into your soul.
I can't scrub away all of your writer's block, but I can offer a lifeline: a place to begin.
Once you know what to write about, the process of writing becomes that much easier. You have knowledge and skills that your audience doesn't. That has value. A blog post can be as simple as answering a question.
You just have to know the right questions to ask.
Why is Blogging Important?
Let's back up a bit - why is blogging even necessary?
Well the short version is that in order to rank on Google, you need a blog. And you need to update it. Regularly. Google likes to see fresh content on your site. Logically, it makes sense: why would they tell users that your site is a valuable resource if it remains static? In order to show up in search results, you need to offer searchers something valuable to click on.
Beyond that though, blogs are a fantastic way to both draw in new leads and support your current customers. More than ever, people love to self-serve where possible. More often than not, they're going to start their process by searching online and doing research. And for your current clients, they might not want to call you for every single question - or they may not even realize they need to ask a certain question until they see it explained.
20 Questions that Will Give you a Year's Worth of Blog Posts:
Ok, so you know you need to blog, but where to start? Well, try these 20 questions to get you creative juices flowing:
- What are the top 5 questions customers ask you all the time?
- What questions do prospective clients ask your salespeople?
- What's going on in the news related to your industry?
- How do you feel about that news? Why?
- Ask 10 people in your company the same question - what answers do they give?
- What advice would you give to your younger self, starting out in this industry?
- Is [INDUSTRY TREND] worth the hype, or is it overrated?
- Find a blog post about your industry - do you agree with this post? Why or why not?
- What are some common mistakes made in your industry? What can people do to fix them?
- Look back at a major company milestone - how has your company changed since then?
- What are the best books related to your industry? Why should people read them?
- What are some "industry secrets" or tips that your clients might not know?
- Did you attend a recent event? What were some of the highlights?
- What are your favorite inspirational quotes?
- What are some myths in your industry? What is the truth?
- Who are influential people that you admire?
- Share a failure - how did you transform it into a learning experience?
- Draft up a list of jargon and industry phrases - what do they mean?
- What are the pros/cons of [INDUSTRY TOOL]?
- Pick a customer - what were they looking for when they came to you? How did you help them?
Once you've got your question and answers, you've got your topic and title. Now all that's left is the writing itself. Gulp.
Don't fret - we've got a resource for that too - check out the following video if you're still facing off against the blank page:
Writing blogs are important for getting found online, but they don't have to be a daunting chore. Use the 20 questions above to get started on your blog writing journey. Happy writing!
* * *
Free Template: Content Audit
As you plan out your content, you want to make sure that you have goals in mind and track towards them. Your content is the main driver towards your SEO, so having an organized plan is key to measuring results!
With this template you'll get:
- An organization method for all of your content
- Ability to share with your company the results of your efforts
- Place to plan future content and promotion activities
Download the Content Tracker today!
Need a new digital marketing or web design plan? We are a Minneapolis SEO, digital marketing, social media marketing, web design and HubSpot inbound marketing agency. Stop on by and get started – and while you’re here, pick up a free honey stick (yes, we love our bee-related theme).