How to Get Your Sales Team to Actually Use HubSpot
As a HubSpot partner agency, we frequently work with companies that already have HubSpot, but need some help cleaning up data. And the number one thing we hear is "I just can't get my sales team to use it."
This is an extremely common challenge with any new tool, but especially one like HubSpot that is incredibly dense and crosses over several different teams. Without the proper direction, it's natural for your sales team to throw in the towel and use what they're used to.
The good news is that you can get your sales team to use HubSpot. You just need to follow these steps.
Make Sure They Know the Benefits for Them
No matter how enthusiastic your leadership team is about HubSpot, if your sales team doesn't truly understand that the system is for their benefit, then you're not going to have an enthusiastic sales team. Change is difficult, and HubSpot is an incredibly complex system. So simply saying "this will make your life easier" and then throwing your sales team into HubSpot isn't going to cut it.
You need to make sure that your sales team understands exactly how HubSpot is useful for them. Get specific! You can use these sales benefits directly from HubSpot to communicate to your team:
- HubSpot makes it easy for your sales team to identify the most qualified leads. They spend less time sorting through leads and more time closing deals with motivated prospects.
- The HubSpot platform makes for seamless communication between sales and marketing teams. If a lead doesn't seem quite ready for your sales team yet, they can pass the lead back to marketing for more nurturing without missing a beat.
- Automate repetitive tasks. HubSpot is designed to automate the parts of your sales process that take up your team's time. Integrating automatic follow ups and workflows ensure your team can put more of their time to what matters — closing deals.
- Easily see which tools and strategies are providing the best results. Sales pros will appreciate the data and analytics HubSpot offers on their sales techniques.
You can also encourage your team to join HubSpot Groups - these are places for users to connect based on job titles and interests. This lets them connect with other sales teams who have gone through the exact same process, and what their experience has been.
Bottom line: you don't want to tell your team that they need to use HubSpot. You want them to want to use it.
→Read Now: Why Should I Use Hubspot?
Give Your Team Specific To-Dos
One of the most common mistakes companies make when starting with HubSpot is to throw their team into the system and then expect them to have everything up and running by a certain deadline. Instead, break it up into actionable, easy-to-follow to-dos that you can give your team. What this looks like for your team might be different, but here's an example for Month 1 of an implementation process:
- Week 1: Complete the HubSpot Sales Software Course to learn the basics of the system
- Week 2: Log into the system and navigate around the platform
- Week 3: Team meeting to discuss what custom properties, deal stages, etc. that need to be set up
- Week 4: Connect your inbox to the software and start logging contacts
Whatever the to-dos are, they need to be reasonable for your team to execute and with a specific deadline. This will give your sales team more direction so they can become comfortable with the system.
Have Regular HubSpot Meetings
The last thing anyone wants is another meeting, but sometimes it's necessary. If you want to get HubSpot right, everyone needs to be on board, clear on how it's to be used, and up to speed with how to use the system. The best way to ensure that is by planning to have regular team check-ins on HubSpot.
This is where you can follow up on the to-dos mentioned above. Give your team the space to ask questions, share frustrations, and walk through any points of friction. Finding these spots where your team is getting stuck early on in the process will make it much, much easier to address and fix now rather than finding out a few months down the road that all your data is out of line.
Having these regular meetings also ensures that your team understands that HubSpot is a tool for everyone, and not just some shiny new toy that management is "making them use."
Grow with a HubSpot Partner Agency
HubSpot is incredibly complex, and oftentimes the easiest way to get everyone on board is to partner with someone who knows the software in and out. As a Platinum HubSpot partner, we can assist you with Onboarding, Inbound Marketing, Service and CRM.
Onboarding Programs for New HubSpot Users
- Customized for you, based on your business, processes and goals
- Full onboarding offerings for all Hubs
- Personalized, custom training
- First-tier tech support offered at no charge after onboarding
Fix-It Programs for Current HubSpot Users
- Thorough examination of current HubSpot Hub(s)
- Clean-up of data and contacts
- Creation of lists, workflows and sequences as needed
- Identify opportunities for integration
- Help you get the most out of your HubSpot account
Need a new digital marketing or web design plan? We are a Minneapolis SEO, digital marketing, social media marketing, web design and HubSpot inbound marketing agency. Stop on by and get started - and while you're here, pick up a free honey stick (yes, we love our bee-related theme).