How to Get Your Sales Team to Actually Use HubSpot
As a HubSpot partner agency, we frequently work with companies that already have HubSpot, but need some help cleaning up data or streamlining the tools for their use. The number one thing we hear is "I just can't get my sales team to use it."
Adoption is an extremely common challenge with any new tool, but especially for CRMs, marketing and sales software like HubSpot, which of course touches several different teams. Without the proper direction, it's natural for your sales team to disengage and just keep doing the same old things they used to do - which negates the entire point of getting HubSpot for your business.
The good news is that you can get your sales team to use HubSpot. You just need to follow these steps.
Make Sure Sales Knows the Benefits
No matter how enthusiastic your company's leadership is about HubSpot, your sales team won't fully buy-in unless they understand that the system is for their benefit. Change is difficult, and HubSpot is a big change, no matter how good the end result might be. So simply saying "this will make your life easier" and then throwing your sales team into HubSpot isn't going to cut it.
You need to make sure that your sales team understands exactly how HubSpot is useful for them. Get specific! You can use these sales benefits directly from HubSpot to communicate to your team:
- HubSpot makes it easy to identify your most qualified leads. You'll spend less time sorting through leads and more time closing deals with motivated prospects.
- HubSpot makes for seamless communication between sales and marketing. If a lead doesn't seem quite ready for sales, they can pass the lead back to marketing for more nurturing without missing a beat.
- Automate repetitive tasks. HubSpot is designed to automate the parts of your sales process that take up your team's time. Integrating automatic follow ups and workflows ensure your team can put more of their time to what matters — closing deals.
- Easily see which tools and strategies are providing the best results. Sales pros will appreciate the data and analytics HubSpot offers on their sales techniques.
You can also encourage your team to join HubSpot Groups - these are places for users to connect based on job titles and interests. This lets them connect with other sales teams who have gone through the exact same process, learn from their experiences and get helpful tips to make the most of HubSpot's sales tools.
Bottom line: you don't want to tell your team that they need to use HubSpot. You want them to want to use it.
→Read Now: Why Should I Use Hubspot?
Give Your Team Specific To-Dos
One of the most common mistakes companies make when starting with HubSpot is to throw their team into the system and then expect them to have everything up and running by a certain deadline. Instead, break up the process into actionable, easy-to-follow to-dos. Here's an example for Month 1 of a BizzyWeb client's implementation process:
- Week 1: Complete the HubSpot Sales Software Course to learn the basics of the system (90 minutes)
- Week 2: Log into the system and navigate around the platform (30 minutes)
- Week 3: Team meeting to discuss what custom properties, deal stages, etc. that need to be set up (45 minutes)
- Week 4: Connect your inbox to the software and start logging contacts (15 minutes)
Whatever your team's to-dos are, they need to be easy to complete within a specific deadline. This will give your sales team more direction so they can become comfortable with the system.
Have Regular HubSpot Meetings
The last thing anyone wants is another meeting, but sometimes it's necessary. If you want to get HubSpot right, everyone needs to be on board, clear on how it should be used, and up to speed with how to use the system. The best way to ensure that is by planning to have regular team check-ins on HubSpot.
This is where you can follow up on the to-dos listed above. Give your team time to ask questions, share frustrations, and walk through any points of friction. Finding spots where your team is getting stuck early on in the process will make it much, much easier to address and fix now rather than finding out a few months down the road that all your data is inaccurate or the team just isn't using the tools.
Having regular meetings ensures that your team understands that HubSpot is a helpful tool for them, not just some shiny new toy that management is "making them use."
Grow with a HubSpot Partner Agency
HubSpot is incredibly powerful, and can do a LOT of things to boost your team's productivity and help you sell more. But all that power does come with a learning curve. Often the easiest way to get your team on board is to partner with someone who knows the software in and out, and can save you weeks or months of time in getting up to speed while avoiding common mistakes. As a Platinum HubSpot partner, we can help you with Onboarding, Inbound Marketing, Service and CRM optimization.
Onboarding Programs for New HubSpot Users
- Customized for you, based on your business, processes and goals
- Full onboarding offerings for all Hubs (Sales, Marketing, Service, CMS, Ops)
- Personalized, custom training
- First-tier tech support offered at no charge after onboarding
Fix-It Programs for Current HubSpot Users
- Thorough examination of current HubSpot Hub(s)
- Clean-up of data and contacts
- Creation of lists, workflows and sequences as needed
- Identify opportunities for integration
- Help you get the most out of your HubSpot account
BizzyWeb is a Minneapolis-based digital marketing and web design agency that helps companies get the high-quality leads they need to grow and thrive. Our tactics include inbound marketing, SEO, advertising, web design, content creation and sales automation. We are an accredited HubSpot Platinum Partner and we offer full-service HubSpot onboarding, enablement and strategy for new and current users.