How to Import Your Contacts Into HubSpot's CRM
So, you took the plunge and signed up for HubSpot's free CRM...now what? Getting HubSpot is just the first step, the next is setting up your CRM. HubSpot's Knowledge Base breaks down every step of the onboarding process, but the most important is importing your contacts into HubSpot CRM. If you're ready to get rolling, follow the steps below to import your contacts into your new CRM.
→Read Now: Why Does a Business Need a CRM System?
Setting Up Your Import Files
The easiest way to bulk import contacts into HubSpot is to use an import file. You can start by exporting contacts out of your current CRM or email client. Then, modify the file so it meets HubSpot's import file requirements.
Import File Requirements:
- File must be .csv, .xlsx, or .xls
- File should contain fewer than 250,000 objects/rows and be smaller than 150MB.
- File must have a header row, and each column header should correspond to a property that exists for object type being imported.
- File must include the following properties (labeled as such in each column header): First name, Last name and Email.
HubSpot's Knowledge Base provides free example import files for download, so you can see the correct setup.
How to Import Contacts Into HubSpot
Once you've gotten your import file ready, it's time to import into HubSpot. If your file only contains contact information, then it's a one-object type. If you want to import a file with multiple objects (such as contacts, deals and notes), follow this article on HubSpot's Knowledge Base instead.
- Navigate to your contacts, companies, deals, tickets, or products.
- Click on Import in the upper right, then click on Start an import.
- Select File from computer and click Next.
- Select One File, then Next.
- Select One object, then Next.
- Select contacts as your object type.
- Click choose a file and then select your import file. If you've previously exported a file from HubSpot, select the object ID to deduplicate your contacts. If your import file is from another CRM or system, you can leave that box unchecked.
- On the next screen, HubSpot will automatically match the columns in your file to contact properties based on the header. If columns do not match correctly, click the dropbox menu and choose one of the following:
- Select an existing property to map the column to.
- Select create a new property to set up a new custom property. You will likely have to choose this option if it's your first time uploading contacts to HubSpot.
- Select don't import column to skip the column entirely from your import.
- Once every column is matched or skipped, click Next.
- You'll be asked to enter an Import Name. This could be "customers, prospects, etc." Name it something that describes the contacts, or you can be as simple as "Date. Contacts. Import"
- If you would like to create a list from all your contacts, select the Create a list of contacts from this import checkbox.
- Once you've set up your import, click Finish import to import all contacts.
Tada! All your contacts are now imported into HubSpot.
Get the Most Out of HubSpot
HubSpot is a significant investment. If not implemented and used properly, you're not getting the most out of this powerful tool. You can go it alone, but working with a HubSpot partner agency means that you don't need to become an expert in HubSpot to get up and running.
As a Platinum HubSpot partner we can assist you with Onboarding, Inbound Marketing, Service and CRM.
Onboarding Programs for New HubSpot Users
- Customized for you, based on your business, processes and goals
- Full onboarding offerings for all Hubs
- Personalized, custom training
- First-tier tech support offered at no charge after onboarding
Fix-It Programs for Current HubSpot Users
- A thorough examination of current HubSpot Hub(s)
- Clean-up of data and contacts
- Creation of lists, workflows and sequences as needed
- Identify opportunities for integration
- Help you get the most out of your HubSpot account
* * *
Free Download: CRM Data Clean Up Checklist
A neglected Customer Relationship Management (CRM) system can be paralyzing for marketing, sales and services teams. Figuring out how to actually make sense of your database is a time-consuming and expensive task. To make it easier for you, we've created this simple data clean-up checklist that walks you through data clean-up step by step.
What Does This Checklist Cover?
✓ How to analyze your data
✓ How to clean up your fields
✓ How to clean up your data
✓ How to re-organize your lead sources and lists
✓ How to create reporting that matters
✓ How to re-organize your lead sources and lists
✓ How to formulate and stick to a standard process
✓ How to look for duplicates and bad data
✓ How to re-import and organize your contacts
Need a new digital marketing or web design plan? We are a Minneapolis SEO, digital marketing, social media marketing, web design and HubSpot inbound marketing agency. Stop on by and get started - and while you're here, pick up a free honey stick (yes, we love our bee-related theme).