20 Writing Prompts for Quick and Creative Emails
Whether you're a small manufacturer or a massive multinational corporation, one thing is the same: email marketing should be a critical part of your digital marketing strategy. For every $1 you spend on email marketing, you can expect an average return of $38. That's an almost unbelievable margin.
But creating a killer email isn't as simple as pressing "send." First, you have to write it. And that prospect is daunting, especially when you don't consider yourself a writer and have no idea what to talk about. If you're stuck, use these 20 email writing prompts from Constant Contact to find your perfect email topic.
→ Related Content: 10 Steps for Better Marketing Emails
20 Email Writing Prompts
- Share a memory of your first sale
- Highlight your most popular items
- What inspires you?
- Look back on an early learning experience
- Provide a “how-to” tutorial
- Celebrate a milestone
- Introduce one of your staff members
- Send a thank-you note
- Ask for feedback/advice
- Preview something you look forward to all year
- Let customers know how you get involved in your community
- Share a video
- Respond to industry trends or news
- Share an interesting article
- Feature a happy customer
- Provide a gift guide
- Highlight your social media profiles
- Share local news/events
- Take advantage of an obscure or fun holiday
- Answer the question: Why do you do what you do?
These prompts will help you get started with drafting your emails. But the topic is only one piece of the puzzle.
Get Strategic with Your Email Marketing
Now that you have some ideas of what to write about, focus on the how. Blasting a message into a massive void of contacts isn't likely to get you much return. (And please, Don't buy that list. )
For best results, you should use segmentation to organize your lists. Group contacts by some similar trait - common options include lifecycle stage (e.g., are they a client, a prospect, or a vendor), geographical location, service type, and/or industry. You can then send your emails only to the segments likely to be interested. This makes it more likely that your emails will get opened. It also prevents readers from unsubscribing and missing out on potentially relevant information because they're sick of getting messages that aren't useful to them.
Additionally, personalization can increase your open rates. Include relevant and personal details in emails - the simplest (and most common) example is starting an email with the recipient's name and/or company. Or it can be as complex as pulling in client information - such as last purchase date, specific need from your last chat, or a reminder to make an appointment.
→ Related Content: The Non-Marketer's Guide to Segmentation & Targeting
If you truly want the best return from your email, you need to get strategic with the tools you use.
Grow with HubSpot
HubSpot's Marketing Hub is incredibly powerful and can boost your team's productivity to help you sell more. With HubSpot’s analytics tools, you can connect your marketing and revenue data to track which campaigns, ads, social posts, emails, and blogs helped close each deal. You can directly tie your marketing efforts to dollars showing you what’s working, and what needs to be reworked.
But all that power comes with a learning curve. Often the easiest way to get your team started is to partner with a team that knows the software inside and out, and can save you weeks or months of time in getting up to speed while avoiding common mistakes. As a Platinum HubSpot partner, BizzyWeb can help you with Onboarding, Inbound Marketing, Service and CRM optimization.
Onboarding Programs for New HubSpot Users
- Our onboarding programs are customized for you, based on your business, processes and goals
- Full onboarding for all Hubs (Sales, Marketing, Service, CMS, Ops)
- Personalized, custom training
- First-tier HubSpot tech support offered at no charge after onboarding
Fix-It Programs for Current HubSpot Users
- Thorough examination of current HubSpot Hub(s)
- Clean-up of data and contacts
- Creation of lists, workflows and sequences as needed
- Identify opportunities for integration
- Help you get the most out of your HubSpot account
BizzyWeb is a Minneapolis-based digital marketing and web design agency that helps companies get the high-quality leads they need to grow and thrive. Our tactics include inbound marketing, SEO, advertising, web design, content creation and sales automation. We are an accredited HubSpot Platinum Partner and we offer full-service HubSpot onboarding, enablement and strategy for new and current users.